Buyback Shipping TipsHome > Help Center > Buyback Shipping Tips
You are responsible for costs of shipping and for making sure that your items arrive safely. This page should help you reduce shipping costs and protect your shipment.
- Print labels online with a service like Pirate Ship for much lower US Postal Service and UPS rates and an easy way to compare options we describe below. You can also use usps.com to print paid Priority Mail labels.
- If you print postage paid labels, you do not need to wait in line - simply drop off your paid package. For Postal Service packages you can even request a free pickup or just give the packages to your mail carrier!
- Minimize the number of total packages. You are welcome to combine multiple buyback offers into a single package.
- Postage is priced weight increments - every 4 ounces for First Class, every 1lb for others. Try to avoid going into the next tier if possible.
- Commercial carriers like FedEx and UPS charge more for bulkier packaging. Try to use smaller packaging if possible.
Shipping Options in Order of Cost
- US Postal Service First Class Mail if total weight is 15.9oz or less.
- US Postal Service Flat Rate Priority Mail Envelope (available for free at most post offices): Low price on everything that fits.
- US Postal Service Small Flat Rate Priority Mail Box (available for free at many post offices): Low price on everything that fits.
- US Postal Service Priority Mail: Depends on weight and distance. Generally best for 3lbs or less. Use the USPS Shipping Cost Calculator or Pirate Ship for a cost estimate.
- US Postal Service Medium Flat Rate Priority Mail Box (available for free at most post offices): Perfect for heavier, but compact shipments.
- FedEx or UPS Ground: As long as you are shipping within the continental U.S. this will usually be cheapest if your shipment doesn't fit into a Medium Flat Rate Box, especially if you can use your organization's shipping account. Visit FedEx or UPS website to create a label and/or find drop-off locations near you. Labels printed online will be cheaper than paying at the retail location.
Tips for Safe Delivery
We do not require that you use tracking, signature, or insurance; these services can be expensive and issues are rare, especially if you follow the tips above. However, if you do not want to take any chances, make sure you use a trackable and insured shipping method as we will not be responsible for lost or damaged shipments.
- Calculators are delicate. Use bubble wrap or other packing materials to protect them.
- Print the delivery address or shipping label. Packages with handwritten addresses are much more likely to get delayed or lost.
- All shipping methods include tracking if you purchase a label online. Tracking might cost extra for some of the cheaper US Postal Service methods if you purchase them at the post office. Note that tracking is not 100% accurate; signature can be necessary to prove delivery, but costs extra.
- Priority Mail includes $50-$100 in insurance depending on where you buy your label. UPS and FedEx include $100 in insurance. Insurance costs extra for First Class Mail. Please note that most companies will not pay for damage unless you adequately protect the contents of the shipment.